28 enero 2006

Comienzos memorables (7)

What can I hold you with?
I offer you learn streets, desperate sunsets, the moon of the ragged suburbs.
I offer you the bitterness of a man who has looked long and long at the lonely moon.
I offer you my ancestors, my dead men, the ghosts that living men have honoured in marble: my father's father killed in the frontier of Buenos Aires, two bullets through his lungs, bearded and dead, wrapped by his soldiers in the hide of a cow; my mother's grandfather -just twentyfour- heading a charge of three hundred men in Peru, now ghosts on vanished horses.
I offer you whatever insight my books may hold, whatever manliness or humour my life.
I offer you the loyalty of a man who has never been loyal.
I offer you that kernel of myself that I have saved, somehow -the central heart that deals not in words, traffics not with dreams and is untouched by time, by joy, by adversities.
I offer you the memory of a yellow rose seen at sunset, years before you were born.
I offer you explanations of yourself, theories about yourself, authentic and surprising news of yourself.
I can give you my loneliness, my darkness, the hunger of my heart; I am trying to bribe you with uncertainty, with danger, with defeat.



¿Con qué te puedo retener?
Te ofrezco pobres calles, desesperados crepúsculos, la luna de los desharrapados suburbios.
Te ofrezco la amargura de un hombre que ha mirado largamente la luna solitaria.
Te ofrezco mis antepasados, mis muertos, fantasmas que los vivos han honrado en el mármol: el padre de mi padre asesinado en la frontera de Buenos Aires, dos balas atravesaron sus pulmones, y barbudo y muerto fue envuelto en un cuero de vaca por sus soldados; el abuelo de mi madre que a los veinticuatro años comandó una carga de trescientos hombres en el Perú, ahora fantasmas sobre desvanecidos caballos.
Te ofrezco lo que pueda haber en mis libros, lo que pueda haber de hombría y de humor en mi vida.
Te ofrezco la lealtad de un hombre que nunca ha sido leal.
Te ofrezco la entraña de mi ser que de algún modo he preservado; el corazón central que no utiliza palabras ni trafica con sueños, intocado por el tiempo, por la alegría, por la adversidad.
Te ofrezco el recuerdo de una rosa amarilla, vista en el crepúsculo años antes de que nacieras.
Te ofrezco explicaciones acerca de ti misma, auténticas y sorprendentes novedades de ti misma.
Te puedo dar mi soledad, mis tinieblas, el hambre de mi corazón; estoy tratando de sobornarte con la incertidumbre, con el peligro, con la derrota.

Jorge Luis Borges, Two English Poems, II (1934).